Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Socratic Seminar Reflection: Grapes of Wrath

             Due to the nature of our Socratic Seminar, it influenced my thinking in many new ways. The seminar quickly shifted away from the text and into a political argument, which allowed for me to view the text from a political angle for the first time. A large portion of this discussed the point of view of the residents of California, which I hadn't deeply considered.
            The statement I agreed with the most was that it’s unfair to demonize the most desperate group in a situation (it might have been me who initially brought this up, I can’t remember). The statement I agreed with the least was that desperate workers are to blame for lowering the wage to work. I disagree because I believe it should be the employers at fault for lowering wages whenever possible. There wasn’t anything I felt needed to be added, as I once again did my fair share of speaking.
            Our discussion on the politics of the situation was wonderful. It really showed intelligence and analytical thinking from the students. Being an honors class, it was a great demonstration of what we are capable of.
            Two improvements I thought could be made involve me and the group as a whole. A personal improvement would be to talk less. This is a problem I’ve worked on my whole life. Everyone deserves equal opportunity to talk. As a group, we could have stayed on track and discussed the book more, because that is what the seminar was actually about. However, I loved the discussion we had and I’m glad that we didn’t return to level one and two questions because they would cut into the time we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment